Our client, who is a leader in the production of biofuels and renewable chemicals, is looking for a Senior Director, Project Management Office (PMO) who will be responsible for the centralized coordination of projects within the company portfolio. Accountabilities include the planning of the project portfolio, the development of project standards and project management strategies, the planning and training of the project resources as well as the monitoring and support of individual projects. The Senior Director, PMO will maintain an overview of our client’s projects while ensuring alignment with the company strategy.
The incumbent is expected to be hands-on in order to build and develop the PMO infrastructure, processes and tools to speed up the financial close of projects and to deliver projects on time, on scope and on budget. While under the authority of each project’s Director, functions reporting to the Senior Director, PMO include project estimation, project control, cost control and planning.
Gatekeeper of the project portfolio and leader for the Enterprise PMO
- Develop and lead the Enterprise PMO function;
- Organize the Enterprise PMO and Projects Steering Committee meetings, review the agenda and necessary materials, acts as secretary of those meetings and follows up on actions items;
- Assess and classify projects based on the company strategy and available resources in order to facilitate prioritization and decision-making for the Projects Steering Committee;
- Create and share an integrated view of all projects in the portfolio to enable effective measurement of portfolio risk and progress against baseline, prioritization, and focus;
- In conjunction with Project Directors, plan resources at the portfolio-level, by optimizing the use of resources and solving resource conflicts;
- In conjunction with Project Directors, monitor project progress and control the dependencies that affect resources, budgets, and schedules (project portfolio tracking);
- Promote information flow and communication within and across projects.
Support to projects
- Provide administrative and operational support for Project Directors (e.g., Basis of Estimate, Basis of Scheduling, project cost control, and risk management etc.);
- Provide the resources to Project Directors to help them keep the execution on track by actively monitoring completion of necessary deliverables and managing the estimate, the schedule, the scope and the cost schedule for all projects within the portfolio.
Resource planning and training
- Track, allocate, and optimize project resources while managing capacity balancing and scheduling;
- Maintain current employee data, especially for capacity, project allocations and skills;
- Select, implement and train employees on applicable tools and software related to project monitoring and control.
Development of project standards, processes and best practices
- Standardize methods and processes in project management under our “client’s way” to guarantee consistent delivery and continuous improvement;
- Develop and communicate the PMO processes, policies, and tools across the organization and ensure adherence and compliance to standards;
- Develop the basis of scheduling by facilitating project planning sessions, support plan development, provide planning expertise to set out appropriate approach;
- Establish and control project delivery framework including project charter development and approval process sign-off;
- Define and then manage the escalation process and triggers to support decision and performance discussion (e.g. budget, schedule, risk);
- Develop repository of knowledge, best practices, lessons learned and measures of success and disseminate them effectively throughout the organization.
Project reporting and metrics
- Increase transparency and visibility of current and planned projects through up-to-date, reliable project data and reporting against the strategic project portfolio;
- Develop and implement project metrics to measure and maximize performance;
- Prepare weekly updates to support the project leaders;
- Control budget requests and communicate up-to-date data for budget calculations;
- Prepare and present the consolidated view of the company’s project portfolio for different committees (Steering committee, Board of Directors);
- Communicate project expectations/status to team members in a timely and clear fashion.
- Increase visibility of project risks by actively identifying and mitigating risks on individual projects and across the portfolio;
- Employ active risk management methods to reduce impact on cost and schedules;
- Proactively manage changes within the project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans;
- Identify risks and roadblocks to the successful completion of the project and work with project leaders to resolve them;
- Act as the first point of contact for escalation of project risks and issues.
- Bachelor degree Engineering, Business or related field required;
- MBA and or MSc education an asset;
- PMP and or PgMP Certification a strong asset.
- Minimum of 10-year experience in complex, highly technical, multi-discipline projects, ideally in the heavy industry sector or with EPCMs;
- Minimum of 5 years as Project Controller or PMO leader;
- Developer profile with demonstrated experience of building project management and project controls processes, procedures and tools;
- Experience managing resources in a matrix organization;
- Solid knowledge of project management and project controls.
Professional Skills / Abilities :
- Outstanding management, leadership and organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills;
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Strong ability to communicate across all levels of the organization;
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports;
- Financial and budgetary skills;
- Ability to perform in a dynamic and fast-paced environment;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret engineering plans, schedules, budgets, for large-scale engineering projects.
Associé principal / Consultant sénior
514-658-JUMP (5867) poste 201